Keeping Your Family and Home Safe
Electrical fires started by appliances, overloaded power points, damaged power outlets and general cabling wear and tear has become one of Australia’s leading causes of fires. According to the latest statistics, 20 percent of all fires are caused by electrical failure or faults.
In Today’s society we use electronics more than ever, putting more demands on our home’s electrical systems than even as little as 10 years ago net alone a home built 20 or 30 years ago. When you think about it, we are using more computer systems, gaming systems, large appliance like a TV in each room, and even “smart home” components often on a system that wasn’t designed to handle technology and demands. All this can be putting your home’s safety at risk, this is why electrical safety should on top of everyone’s mind.
- The age of your home. If your home is over 20 years old, then electrical wiring could be old and outdated. We suggest having it evaluated by a licensed electrical contractor to discuss options moving forward.
- Is your breaker tripping or blowing fuses? If you’re regularly tripping breakers or blowing fuses, it’s a sign that your home’s demand is more than the system can take.
- You regularly need extension cords , power boards or double adapters If you’re relying on any of these to plug in your electrical items, it means you don’t have enough outlets. Many years ago a room may have only had one or two outlets, where today’s homes have 3 or 4.
- Do your lights flicker or dim? Unless you are looking for a sign from someone who has passed flickering lights show that the old electrical wiring isn’t up to the task to properly power all the items inside your home.